Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Beautiful People.


Oh my goodness gracious. Today was the best day yet. I got to spend the day with tons of kids and I could not be in a better mood. They were some of the cutest little kids I have ever met. We went to an elementary school and taught them health awareness lessons such as: dental health, CPR, nutrition (obesity and diabetes), and the heimlich. We used posters, handouts, storybooks, and even handed out prizes for participation. They loved us to say the least and we loved them even more. 
After we taught 3 of the classes we went on a fieldtrip with them to an elderly home called Octavia. The kids had a whole program for the old folks with songs and stories and it was completely adorable. Its interesting because they pretty much force religion on these kids. All of their songs have something to do with Jesus. I think its great actually. Its just weird to see because it would be totally illegal in the U.S. There is no separation of church and state here. There were points when the kids were singing and I was almost in tears. I loved spending the day with them and so did the elderly. There was one lady in particular, Juanita, who was clapping and dancing along with every song. She was so funny and so cute. I loved sitting and being able to talk to her for a little while. While the kids were singing, there were a couple of us going around to the elderly individually and taking blood pressure and checking for cataracts and what not. There is a lot of work to be done there so we will most likely be going back. 
After we got back from the old folks home we went out to lunch while the kids had recess and ate. When we walked back in the gate to the school they came running up to us giving us hugs and wanting to play games. I got to play tag (mostly just me being chased by a bunch of 8 year olds around a big field), and some duck duck goose while Taylor and Carly had some kids playing with their cameras. Ahhh, it really was such a rewarding day. We taught 3 more classes after recess and then headed over to a much smaller elementary school of just 15 students. Keep in mind we're walking about 2 miles between each of these so my legs are getting buff and my farmers tan is getting hideously noticeable. 
I really have come to love walking around even though its blazing hot. Its just so laid back here. We walk around and everyone either says "hi" to us or is asleep in their hammock on their porch. The wild life is absolutely gorgeous here so it makes the long walks a lot easier. You might already know this but..I LOVE IT HERE. 
P.S. If you would like to be my friend on FaceBook, please add me. Alison Vincent. I made a new account recently. Gracias! 

Okay, now time for a picture OVERLOAD. Get ready. 

























No comments:

Post a Comment