Saturday, May 26, 2012

Too much to say!

There is a lot to say in this post so get ready for a bunch of random stuff.
First off, I will tell you what I have been up to for the past week. Monday thru Wednesday we broke into two groups and while one group worked in the garden for the morning the other would be at a Nazarene school helping with the younger kids and then we would switch in the afternoon. The garden project is really coming along. We have all of the 11 beds finished with the two rows of cinder blocks around them and now we just have to put the good dirt in each one. I will post pictures soon I just keep forgetting to take pictures of the progress we are making.
At the Nazarene school we were able to help the teachers take care of the younger kids. The kids really need a lot more attention then they are getting. The reading level is really low and so is the math. The teachers are doing a good job at what they can but its hard when there is only one of them to teach 30 students. So thats why they asked us to come in so the teachers could teach their lesson and then we would go around to each student and help them do their assignment. I really enjoy teaching the kids here. I'll admit that sometimes they can be really sassy, but they're just so darn cute. One of the girls in our group, Jasmyn, is going to be the project lead for a reading camp at the Nazarene school in July. I'll be able to help out with that as well so I'm pretty excited!
Also this week, I have started a project of my own. In Belmopan, the capitol of Belize, there is a community center called the George Price Center that allows kids to come and get tutoring, use the library, etc. A few years ago a group came in from Japan and donated a whole computer lab to the center for the kids. Problem is, the kids don't know how to use the computers so they have to have a teacher with them to be able to use the lab and there isn't always a teacher available. The students really need this computer lab because they get homework assignments where the teacher has assumed they have internet access but some of the kids don't. So I'm going to come in and teach a two week course on how to use a computer as well as typing classes. The owner of the George Price Center told us that the reward for  students taking my course will be that they can use the computer lab whenever they want without the prescence of a teacher. This will be very beneficial to the students and the staff so that the students can get their homework done and the staff doesn't have to worry about the computers being ruined. So this week in our spare time Tori and I have been coming up with a curriculum for the course. Classes will begin June 18 so I will let you know how that goes!
This week we also went around to more schools and gave the dental health, nutrition, and CPR presentations that we have done before. I always love doing that because the kids get so excited to participate and win prizes.

Second, this weekend has been an eventful one to say the least. Not here in Belize, but at home!
1. Friday May 25 was the 2 year anniversary of Tiffany Lynn Searle passing away. I didn't get to participate in lighting chinese lanterns at her headstone but I'm sure it was a really awesome experience and I did get to look back on some pictures from last year and from when she was here with us. I also got to talk to Valerie (mother of Tiffany) over the phone for a little while and I really enjoyed that. I wish I could have called Nic but I guess I will be able to hear from him on Monday via email. Tiffany was and is an amazing little girl who touched the lives of so many people. I really miss her and wish I could have gotten to know her better. She is always in my thoughts.
2. Today, Saturday May 26 is the day my cousin Austin and his fiance Kendy will be sealed for time and all eternity. I could not be more excited for them and for Kendy to be a part of our family. I wish them the best of luck and sincerely apologize for not being able to be there for them on this special day! Congratulations!
3. Last but definitely not least, yesterday the American Fork High School baseball team won the State Championship against Taylorsville!! HOOLLLAAAA! Seriously could not be more excited for these boys. I can't wait to tell Nic. He will be so excited as well!

Sorry for such a long post but I just had to blog about all of it! Still having an amazing time here in Belize and can't wait to see whats in store for me next! Until next time, PEACE.

No comments:

Post a Comment